Thursday, March 22, 2007

Mini-vacation

Earlier this month Don, Cooper and I took off for Nashville. Don had business there so Cooper and I tagged along and visited with Grandpa Walt. That was Walt's first time meeting Cooper and the first time I had seen him since my wedding (which I had to quilt him into attending). It was strange visit mostly because when I mentally picture Walt, I picture him more the way he was years ago - when I was a child. He was always more outgoing than my Memaw, always wanted to do things when we visited, but as time has taken it's toll, he doesn't do as much, and much like my Memaw, he doesn't venture too far away from home. I wasn't expecting a ton of entertainment mind you, just a good quality visit, which I got, but I wasn't prepared for him seeming so much older. He wasn't getting around as well as he used to, a little limp and his stairs looked like a struggle to him and that hit me even harder. I wasn't prepared to see him so much more frail, not that he is. I don't know what I mean - it was very nice, but different.

While I was there, he gave me my Memaw's wedding ring. I REALLY wasn't expecting that. The only catch is that I have to keep it in the blood-line, so any daughter, grand-daughter or my neice will eventually get the ring - but I'm not giving it up any time soon, that's for sure! Here it it is. The photo just doesn't do it justice.


We only stayed in Nashville for a day, then we went to Memphis to visit with Nana and Pawpaw. Cooper had a ball playing with his cousins and playing golf with is Pawpaw. I think now the Easter bunny is going to bring Coop some golf clubs. Here are some fun pics from our trip. Also, Don and I went to Graceland (I've been there before, but he hadn't) and we left Coop in the capable hands of Nana and Pawpaw. While we were leaving to go to Graceland, Don and I realized that was the first time we left Coop during the day - weird but refreshing to spend time just the two of us.


We introduced Don to Memphis BBQ. As a Texan, his idea of BBQ (beef) is VERY different than Memphis style (which I prefer, but what else would you expect from a Southaven girl?).

No comments:

Post a Comment